2010 Jet Ski Ultra 260LX
Unparalleled Luxury With Unsurpassed JET SKI Performance
If you’re going for the ultimate in performance and comfort, you might as well go all the way. The JET SKI® Ultra® 260LX is powered by the same supercharged 1,498cc 260 horsepower four-cylinder engine you’ll find in the Ultra 260X. The Ultra 260LX rides the waves atop the same race-derived deep-V hull, and blows everything else off the water just like the Ultra 260X. But the addition of that “L” in its name makes the Ultra 260LX even more special, and the ride even sweeter: This one gets a luxurious touring seat that provides unparalleled comfort for both rider and passenger(s), along with first-class paintwork that makes it as beautiful outside as it is inside. Days on the water just don’t get any better than aboard the Ultra 260LX.
This special PWC’s luxury touring seat has a carefully sculpted saddle for the rider, and a rise at the back for increased cruising comfort. The seat’s shape provides extra support for the rider and back passenger, and that bit of increased contact with the PWC provides a confident connection to this powerful high-performance machine. In rough conditions, sitting on top of the step lets its thick, impact-absorbing padding do a lot of the work normally left to your thighs. And its extra lower back support helps reduce rider fatigue – especially appreciated in long no-wake zones and during mid-speed riding on smooth water.
The Ultra 260LX’s supercharger-equipped 1,498cc engine gives it the accelerative performance to satisfy hard-core racers. The thrust from the race-tuned propulsion unit – also used on the Ultra 260X – is comparable to a normally aspirated high-performance engine of twice the displacement. Unlike centrifugal superchargers or turbochargers, the direct-drive Roots-type supercharger force-feeds the engine two liters of air with every revolution for a stable supply of high-pressure air at all rpm from idle to redline. This produces a smooth, linear torque curve that is ideal for accelerating a PWC all the way from a standstill through its breath-taking top-end speed.
With the 260LX’s supercharger compressing the air to a maximum boost pressure of 11.4psi, the intake charge could reach extremely high temperatures – potentially limiting the engine’s power output. But that’s never a concern on the Ultra 260LX, which uses a large-capacity intercooler to bring the pressurized air in its intake back down to ambient temperature or even less – ideal for producing maximum power.
Utilizing lessons learned from Kawasaki’s race machines, the Ultra 260LX’s huge 155mm jet pump was designed to deliver predictable thrust and good “traction,” even in rough water. Its sophisticated three-blade impeller delivers high performance smoothly and quietly. The new impeller design features blades with less twist, to better convert the increased output from the supercharged 1,498cc engine into blistering acceleration and enough top speed to thrill the entire family.
A significant factor in the pump’s extra “traction” are the eight guide vanes that smooth the flow of water from the impeller for efficient and powerful propulsion. The pump also incorporates a groove from the center to the rear of the ride plate, which makes it easier to hold a stable heading for straight line riding.
In addition to impressive power and acceleration, the Ultra 260LX also boasts a fiberglass reinforced plastic (FRP) hull loaded with DNA from Kawasaki’s IJSBA championship winning machines. Specifically designed to capitalize on the engine’s awesome power, this hull combines confidence-inspiring high-speed stability and excellent rough-water ride manners with responsive turning performance. Carefully designed sponsons and chines enhance the straight-line stability and precise cornering of the deep, 22.5° V-angle hull.
Able to lean into corners like a motorcycle, the responsive, neutral handling hull helps to reduce the lateral G-loads generated during turns and helps keep the rider in control. The seaworthy hull design is just as comfortable and confidence-inspiring in rough conditions as in calm. Even at high speeds, rough water can do little to deter the smooth ride on the 260LX.
The Ultra 260LX is as easy-to-use as it is fast, luxurious and fun. It boasts a clever five-way adjustable steering handle to suit a variety of riding styles and rider sizes, making it possible to ride in either a standing or sitting position. Kawasaki’s innovative electronic Smart Learning Operation (SLO) mode can be selected to place a limit on maximum engine speed so novice riders can be offered reduced power levels and speed, while they master proper riding techniques. Its adjustable controls, SLO mode, and other family-friendly design features help make the Ultra 260LX more accessible to riders of varying size and ability.
Nothing needs to be left behind with 60 gallons of built-in storage space. And the fun can keep on going, thanks to the large 20.6 gallon fuel tank, which gives the Ultra 260LX a substantial cruising range.
The Kawasaki Ultra 260LX delivers unparalleled performance and touring luxury on the water, easily allowing riders to pursue family fun and their sense of adventure at the same time.
- The Ultra 260LX features a scalloped luxury touring seat designed for enhanced long-distance comfort. Contoured for a good ergonomic fit, the LX seat offers ultra-comfortable accommodation for three
- The seat’s steps allow riders to sit in the “saddle” during strong acceleration or stand and shift rearward in rough conditions so the thick, impact-absorbing padding reduces strain on the thigh muscles
- First-class design forgoes the high-flash graphics of pure sporting machines, in favor of a rich design rendered in beautiful paintwork
260 Horsepower(1) Supercharged Engine
- Supercharged and intercooled, 1,498cc, liquid-cooled in-line four-cylinder engine
- 8.4:1 cast pistons with machine finishing for excellent durability
- High-lift cams – 8.5mm intake; 8.2mm exhaust – flow plenty of air for maximum power
- Inconel exhaust valves for superior heat resistance and enhanced reliability
- 33.4mm intake and 28.3mm exhaust valves
-- Check valve between the cylinder jacket and the water muffler shuts the water
flow off at over 2000 rpm, keeping the cooling water inside the cylinder jacket
- Precise power adjustments are easy with a throttle lever designed to prevent finger fatigue on longer rides
- Inter-cooler pressure valve setting changed to improve the pressure control
- Efficiently cools the high-pressure intake air
- Cooler air results in higher combustion efficiency and high engine output
- Liquid-cooling allows the intercooler to maintain consistent thermal performance
- High-flow fuel injectors with four orifices complement the increased power output and improve combustion efficiency
- Single throttle body features a large, 60mm bore diameter
- 4-into-2-into-1 powerboat-style exhaust system routes the exhaust pipe upwards
Allows the smoothest path for exhaust gases, maximizing exhaust efficiency
(1) Horsepower measured in PS at the crankshaft under controlled conditions. Actual performance may vary.
155mm Jet Propulsion
- Efficiently converts the Ultra 260LX’s massive horsepower into thrust using a large-diameter 155mm jet pump
- Developed based on feedback from Kawasaki’s race machines, this pump was specially designed to deliver stable output and good “bite,” even when riding on rough water
- Revised impeller design features blades with less twist, more efficiently translates the 260LX’s increased engine output into increased acceleration performance
- The large, sophisticated three-blade impeller also offers quiet operation
- An eight-vane intake guide is used to smooth and regulate the flow of water from the impeller for efficient and powerful propulsion
- Left side reverse lever for easy operation
- Features a groove from the center to the rear of the ride plate, to enhance straight-line stability
- Rigid hull is designed to work with all that supercharged power
- Feedback from Kawasaki’s IJSBA championship-winning racing machines integrated into design enables it to cope with the engine’s horsepower
- Hull offers a combination of high stability and responsive handling in both calm and rough-water conditions
- The lower hull is specially designed to distribute the engine and power delivery loads over a wide area
- The 260X’s deep-V hull enables a high bank angle, motorcycle-like turning performance. This reduces the lateral G-loads imposed on riders during turns, allowing them to better concentrate on riding
- The idealized 22.5° V-angle at the bottom of the hull helps prevent spinouts during sharp turns
- Delivers the neutral handling and turning characteristics for which Kawasaki JET SKI watercraft are famous
- Bottom of the hull slants upwards steeply from the center section to the bow, so the Ultra 260LX can penetrate swells and waves with less shock; delivering extreme stability at low speeds and pushing through waves rather than bouncing over them at high speeds
- Battery located inside the front storage area near the center of the machine, avoiding concentrating heavy components at the rear and freeing up space inside the engine bay
- Integrated sponsons extend from the hull, providing stable wallow-free straight-line performance and contributing significantly to the 260LX’s excellent high speed maneuverability while helping to retain the narrow hull design
- The Kawasaki Splash Deflector uses three bottom mounted ridges and an additional deflector mounted at the top to deflect water splashing forward from under the hull
- Whether turning or blasting straight ahead, at high speeds or low, the Quattro KSD minimize spray, allowing greater rider concentration
Kawasaki Smart Steering®/SLO-Mode
- Kawasaki Smart Steering® (KSS®) monitors steering input and engine speed and, when certain conditions are met, raises rpm to help initiate a turn
- Smart Learning Operation (SLO) allows newer riders to become familiar with the handling and response of this JET SKI watercraft at a more relaxed pace
- Two separate keys, one for SLO-mode and one for full-power operation help prevent confusion over which setting is in use
Comfort and Convenience
- Five-way adjustable handlebars allow operation while standing or sitting and suit a wide range of riders
- Relatively narrow seat is comfortable whether riding stand-up, seated or with passengers
- The 2-piece seat, which offers roomy accommodation for three people
- Ergonomic deck design gives plenty of legroom for rider-friendly seating accommodations
- A long rear boarding step makes it easy to climb onboard, and the step retracts inside the bumper to prevent damage
- A quick and easy under hood hose connection allows easy flushing of sea water out of the engine
- Mirrors are mounted to the upper deck to facilitate opening of the hatch cover
- Over 60 gallons in total storage capacity – the largest in the industry
- The large-capacity, fully sealed 58-gallon storage area with a detachable storage tray has plenty of room for recreational equipment
- Mounted on the center console is a detachable drink holder with space for two drink bottles
- Ideal for small items like tools, a compact storage area is integrated with the under-seat rear grip
Extra-large Fuel Capacity
- 20.6 gallon fuel tank has more fuel capacity than any machine in its class
Engine: Supercharged and intercooled, four-stroke, DOHC, four valves per cylinder, inline four-cylinder
Bore x stroke: 83.0 x 69.2mm
Compression ratio: 8.4:1
Induction system- Roots-type supercharger with air-to-water intercooler
Maximum boost: 11.4 psi
Maximum horsepower- 260hp @ 7,750 rpm***
Cooling system: Inducted water
Fuel system: Digital fuel injection
Ignition: TCBI with digital advance
Lubrication: Semi-dry sump system
Coupling: Direct drive from engine
Propulsion system: 155mm jet pump, axial-flow, single stage
Impeller: Three-blade, oval-edge stainless steel
Thrust: 1,585 lbs
Seating capacity: Three-person
Load capacity: 496 lbs
Fuel capacity: 20.6 gal
Oil Capacity: 5.3 qt.
Storage capacity: 53 gal
Curb weight: **- 1062.8 lbs
Overall length: 132.7 in
Overall width: 46.9 in
Overall height: 45.3 in
Colors: Jet White / Black Pearl
Warranty: 12 Months
For more info go to www.kawasaki.com or see you local dealer
Post Your Comment
Composed: 03/15/2010 | Modified: 03/15/2010
Email to a Friend